Venue: King Edmund Chamber, Endeavour House, 8 Russell Road, Ipswich. View directions
Contact: Committee Services
APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE/SUBSTITUTIONS
An apology of Absence was received from Councillor Wendy Turner.
Councillor Rowland Warboys substituted for Councillor Wendy Turner.
TO RECEIVE ANY DECLARATIONS OF PECUNIARY OR NON-PECUNIARY INTEREST BY MEMBERS
Councillor Lavinia Hadingham declared a local non-pecuniary interest for application DC/19/05166 as she was a Member of the Mid Suffolk Growth Board.
Councillor David Muller declared a local non-pecuniary interest as the Vice Chair of Stowmarket Town Council’s Planning Committee.
DECLARATIONS OF LOBBYING
DECLARATIONS OF PERSONAL SITE VISITS
It was resolved that the Minutes of the meeting held on the 16 October 2019 were confirmed and signed as a true record.
TO RECEIVE NOTIFICATION OF PETITIONS IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE COUNCIL'S PETITION SCHEME
Note: The Chairman may change the listed order of items to accommodate visiting Ward Members and members of the public.
In accordance with the Council’s procedure for public speaking on planning applications a representation was made as detailed below:
It was noted by the Chair, prior to the commencement of the meeting, that application DC/19/03191 had been withdrawn by the applicant after the publication of the agenda.
68.1 Item C
Proposal Planning Application – Erection of 1no. dwelling (following demolition of existing outbuilding, railings and walls)
Site Location EYE- 6 Church Street, Eye, Suffolk, IP23 7BD
Applicant Ms H Bowen
68.2 It was noted at the beginning of the meeting that the application was withdrawn by the applicant after the publication of the agenda.
69.1 Item A
Proposal Full Planning Application – Change of use of land and erection of visitor centre and Café, with outside decked seating area and bicycle racks.
Site Location NEEDHAM MARKET – Needham Lake, Coddenham Road, Needham Market, Suffolk, IP6 8NU
Applicant Mid Suffolk District Council
69.2 The Case Officer presented the application to the Committee outlining the proposal before Members, the layout of the site, and the officer recommendation of approval.
69.3 The Case Officer responded to Members’ questions on issues including: the proposed solar panels, the roof slopes, whether there had been any consideration of rainwater harvesting, the facilities available for disabled people, the proposed flood measures, and whether the proposal had BREEAM status.
69.4 Members considered the representation from Daniel Hughes who spoke as the Agent.
69.5 The Agent responded to Members’ questions on issues including: the efficiency of solar panels, and rain water harvesting, the disabled facilities on site, the proposed lighting on the site, the proposed lifetime of the building, and the location of the bicycle parking spaces.
69.6 Members considered the written representation from Councillor Mike Norris which was read out by the Chair.
69.7 Members considered the written representation from Councillor Stephen Philips which was read out by the Chair.
69.8 Members debated the application on the issues including: the design of the proposal and its disabled access, and the sustainability of the proposal.
69.9 Councillor Sarah Mansel proposed that the application be approved as detailed in the officer recommendation with an amendment to the condition “Implementation of renewable energy scheme” to be as follows:
- Implementation of renewable energy measures to be agreed and additional condition for a scheme of rainwater harvesting to be agreed (if feasible)
69.10 Councillor John Field seconded the motion.
69.11 by a unanimous vote
That the application is GRANTED planning permission subject to conditions.
That authority be delegated to the Chief Planning Officer to GRANT Planning permission subject to conditions as summarised below and those as may be deemed necessary by the Chief Planning Officer:
• Standard time limit
• Approved Plans (Plans submitted that form this application)
• Mixed use for visitor centre and café only
• Cycle parking provision
• (As Amended) Implementation of renewable energy measures to be agreed and additional condition of a scheme of rainwater harvesting to be agreed (if feasible)
• Implementation of landscape strategy
• Implementation of ecology mitigation measures
• Biodiversity Enhancement Strategy to be agreed
• Construction Environment Management Plan to be agreed
• Construction management scheme to be agreed
• Lighting scheme implementation and limit to warm white lights
• Implementation of SUDS
• Provision of water butt
• Hours of operation to be agreed
• Scheme for void clearance
(3) And the following informative notes as summarised and those as may be deemed necessary:
• Pro active working statement
• SCC Highways notes
• Support for sustainable development principles
70.1 Item B
Proposal Outline Planning Application (some matters reserved- access to be considered) – Erection of up to 29 No. dwellings (10 affordable dwellings).
Site Location HAUGHLEY – Land on the North side of Station Road, Haughley Suffolk
Applicant Michael Howard Homes
70.2 The Case Officer presented the application to the Committee outlining the proposal before Members, the layout of the site, and the officer recommendation of approval with conditions.
70.3 The Case Officer responded to Members’ questions on issues including: the distance to the centre of Haughley and the nearest bus stop, the proposed renewable energy and sustainability measures, proposed biodiversity enhancements, and affordable housing provision.
70.4 Members considered the representation from the Ward Member, Councillor Rachel Eburne.
70.5 Members considered the representation from the Ward Member, Councillor Keith Welham.
70.6 The Case Officer and Area Planning Manager responded to Members’ questions on issues including: the comments received from Strategic Housing, and the proposed mix of housing, that landscaping was a reserved matter, and that an overhead powerline would have to be re-routed by the Applicant.
70.7 Members debated the application on the issues including: that the proposal was in line with the Neighbourhood Plan, the proposed energy efficiency and sustainability measures, and that Members were concerned that the visual impact of the entrance of the village could be compromised.
70.8 Councillor John Field proposed that the application be approved as detailed in the officer recommendation with the additional conditions as follows:
- Affordable Housing Mix to be agreed
- S106 to include school travel costs
- Additional condition for a landscaping scheme to be agreed for the village entrance point.
70.9 Councillor Sarah Mansel seconded the motion.
70.10 By a unanimous vote
That the application is GRANTED planning permission/listing building consent/other and includes the following conditions:-
(1) Subject to the prior agreement of a Section 106 Planning Obligation on appropriate terms to the satisfaction of the Chief Planning Officer to secure:
• Affordable housing
• On site open space and including management of the space to be agreed and requirement for public access at all times.
· School travel costs
(2) That the Chief Planning Officer be authorised to GRANT Planning Permission upon completion of the legal agreement subject to conditions as summarised below and those as may be deemed necessary by the Chief Planning Officer:
· Standard time limit (3yrs for implementation of scheme/Outline/Reserved/Section73?)
· RM to include layout, appearance etc. and detailed cross sections that show relationship of finished development with all adjoining sites + a minimum of 10% open space
· Layout shall broadly conform to that shown on illustrative layout drawing ref:
· Phasing Condition (To allow phasing of the development and allows spreading of payments under CIL)
· External Materials to be submitted and chosen from traditional vernacular palette
· The northern and eastern site boundaries to be fully landscaped with a hedgerow of indigenous field edge species to the open countryside edge. Any fence or other means of enclosure shall be located on the ... view the full minutes text for item 70.
71.1 A short comfort break was taken between 10:45-10:54 after the completion of DC/19/03790 but before the commencement of DC/19/03834.
71.2 Item D
Proposal Application for removal or variation of condition following grant of Planning Permission DC/17/02630 dated 09/08/2017 – Planning Application for a change of use from former sheltered accommodation common room to local authority office use, variation to conditions 3 and 4 (restriction to operational times and change of use).
Site Location EYE – Sheltered Accommodation, Tacon Close, Eye, Suffolk
Applicant Eye Town Council
71.3 The Case Officer presented the application to the Committee outlining the proposal before Members, the layout of the site, and the officer recommendation of approval.
71.4 The Area Planning Manager advised Members that the recommendation had been updated to remove the duplication of the time limit as detailed in the second bullet point.
71.5 The Case Officer responded to Members’ questions on issues including: that staff using the touchdown point had been made aware to park in the public car park nearby, that the touchdown point was located near to some Sheltered Housing, and whether there was a railing for bikes to be locked against.
71.6 Members considered the representation from the Ward Member, Councillor Peter Gould, who spoke in support of the application.
71.7 Members debated the application on the issues including: the proposed use by the Town Council, that this would allow public access to the building, the hours of operation on the site, and the better use of the buildings.
71.8 It was noted by the Chair that some of the papers within the agenda packs on the items brought before the committee were incorrect and asked that officers ensure that the correct information was presented to Members.
71.9 Members continued to debate the application on the issues including: the principal of the proposal and whether this was futureproofing the site.
71.10 Councillor Lavinia Hadingham proposed that the application be approved as detailed in the officer recommendation. Councillor Dave Muller seconded the motion.
71.11 By 7 votes to 1
1. ACTION REQUIRED IN ACCORDANCE WITH A SPECIFIC TIMETABLE: COMMENCEMENT SECTION 73 TIME LIMIT The development hereby permitted must be begun not later than 9 th July 2020; the expiry date of the permission that this application varies. Reason - To comply with the requirements of Section 91 of the Town and Country Planning Act 1990 as amended by Section 51 of the Planning and Compulsory Purchase Act 2004
2. ON GOING REQUIREMENT OF USE: RESTRICTION ON OPERATION TIMES The hereby permitted use shall only operate between the hours of 08:00 and 18:00 Mondays to Fridays for Local Authority Office with no public access except for Wednesday, Thursday and Friday between 09:00 to 15:00 on these stated days. There shall be no working on weekends and Bank Holidays. Reason - To enable the Local Planning Authority to retain control over the development in the interests of residential amenity within close proximity.
3. SPECIFIC RESTRICTION ON DEVELOPMENT: RESTRICTION ... view the full minutes text for item 71.
72.1 Item E
Proposal Full Planning Application – Part Change of use of A1 unit to gym (D2) including alterations to entrance door.
Site Location STOWMARKET – Poundland, Gipping Way, Stowmarket, Suffolk, IP14 1RA
Applicant Mr Elrington
72.2 The Case Officer presented the application to the Committee outlining the proposal before Members, the layout of the site, and the officer recommendation of approval.
72.3 Members considered the written representation from the Ward Member, Councillor Paul Ekpenyong, which was read out by the Chair.
72.4 Members debated the application on the issues including: the accessibility to the site, its sustainable location, that the hours of operation would be 24/7, and that the use would be restricted to a gym use only.
72.5 Councillor David Muller proposed that the application be approved as detailed in the officer recommendation. Councillor Lavinia Hadingham seconded the motion.
72.6 By a unanimous vote.
(1) That the Corporate Manager - Planning for Growth be authorised to grant planning permission subject to the following conditions:
Standard time limit
D2 Gym purposes only
· Pro-active engagement
Note: Should a site inspection be required for any of the applications this will be decided at the meeting.
73.1 None requested.