18.1 Item A
Proposal Planning Application- Residential development of 42 dwellings, together with associated public open space, access roads, garaging and car parking.
Site Location SOMERSHAM- Land South West of, Main Road, Somersham, Suffolk
Applicant Hopkins and Moore (Developments) Limited
18.2 The Case Officer presented the application to the Committee outlining the proposal before Members, the layout of the site, the proposed improvements to the Public Right of Way and the Highway, the contents of the tabled papers, and the officer recommendation of approval.
18.3 The Case Officer responded to Members’ questions on issues including: proposed warning signs regarding the pinch point on the highway on Main Road, that the land was currently classified as being agricultural, and that an identical “twin track” application had also been submitted alongside the application.
18.4 The Case Officer, Chief Planning Officer and Senior Development Management Engineer (Highways) responded to Members’ questions on issues including: the width of the proposed path, the options that had been considered for Highways improvements, that it was not essential to have a footpath if that was the view Members were minded to take. Officers also responded to Members’ questions regarding the accessibility for mobility scooter users, and the visibility through the pinch point.
18.5 Members considered the representation from Penny Pearson of Somersham Parish Council who spoke against the application.
18.6 The Parish Council representative responded to Members questions on issues including: that two vehicles could not pass each other at the pinch point.
18.7 Members considered the representation from Andrew Laughlin who spoke as an Objector.
18.8 The Objector responded to Members’ questions on issues including: that his property had previously been hit from passing vehicles.
18.9 Members considered the representation from Chris Smith who spoke as the Applicant.
18.10 The Applicant responded to Members’ questions on issues including: the environmental sustainability of the proposal.
18.11 Members considered the representation from the Ward Member, Councillor John Field.
18.12 Members debated the application on the issues including: the work that had been undertaken since the item had previously been sent to Committee, the proposed highways works, and the renewable energy provision, the proposed pathways.
18.13 The Chief Planning Officer advised Members that there were options available to the Committee if they were minded to approve the application in terms of approving with the proposed pathway, or the original submission that went before Members without the pathway.
18.14 Members continued to debate the application on the issues including: the safety of the proposed highways improvements, the location of the site next to the pub, the proposed density of the site and that the pinch point was a pre-existing issue.
18.15 Councillor Richard Meyer proposed that the application be approved as detailed in the officer recommendation with the additional conditions as follows:
- Further improvement to the off road footpath network
18.16 Councillor Rowland Warboys seconded the motion.
18.17 The Chief Planning officer clarified that the proposal for highways works would be developed within the carriageway.
18.18 By 4 votes to 5 with 1 abstention. The motion was lost
18.19 Councillor Kathie Guthrie proposed that the application be approved without the proposed footpath omitted at the pinch point and that this is substituted with a Road Safety enhance scheme including signing and lining and PROW improvements to include a new or amended off road route as recommended by SCC Highway Authority or contribution in lieu if not within the ownership, and that sustainability conditions be added to secure water and resource efficiency and electric vehicle charging.
18.20 Councillor Richard Meyer seconded the motion.
18.21 By 8 votes to 2.
That the application is GRANTED planning permission:
(1) Subject to the prior agreement of a Section 106 Planning Obligation on appropriate terms to the satisfaction of the Chief Planning Officer to secure:
· Affordable Housing at 35%
· 12 x Affordable Rent:
· 2 x 3 bedroom 5 person house @ 93sqm
· 5 x 2 bedroom 4 person house @ 79sqm
· 4 x 1 bedroom 2 person flat @ 50sqm
· 1 x 2 bedroom 4 person flat @ 70sqm
· 3 x Shared Ownership Tenure:
· 1 x 2 bedroom 4 person house @ 79sqm
· 2 x 3 bedroom 5 person house @ 93sqm
· Public Open Space inclusive of management company
· Public Rights of Way surfacing improvement works to FP33 and FP35 totalling £11,529.00.
· Public Transport improvements to install new bus stops on Main Road adjacent to and opposite the site completed under S278.
(2) That the Chief Planning Officer be authorised to grant Planning Permission upon completion of the legal agreement subject to conditions as summarised below and those as may be deemed necessary by the Chief Planning Officer:
1. Time limit
2. Approved plans
3. Tree protection measures
4. Highways – visibility
5. Highways – details and provision of estate roads and footpaths
6. Highways – binder course level
7. Highways – surface water discharge
8. Highways – loading / unloading
9. Highways – refuse / recycling
10. Highways – Deliveries Management Plan
11. Archaeology (Pre-Investigation)
12. Archaeology (Post-Investigation)
13. Ecology mitigation
14. Biodiversity enhancement
15. Landscaping scheme
16. Landscaping management plan
17. Surface water management / disposal strategy
18. SUDs details
19. Construction Surface Water Management Plan (CSWMP)
22. Levels (GFL and FFL)
23. Fire hydrant provision details
24. Installation of new bus stops
(3) And the following informative notes as summarised and those as may be deemed necessary:
Section 38 of the Highways Act 1980
Section 278 of the Highways Act 1980
Scheme of archaeological investigation
(4) That in the event of the Planning obligations or requirements referred to in Resolution (1) above not being secured and/or not secured within 6 months that the Chief Planning Officer be authorised to refuse the application on appropriate ground