92.1 A short comfort break was taken between 10:36-10:45 after the completion of DC/19/03659 but before the commencement of DC/19/02878.
92.2 Item B
Proposal Outline Planning Application (some matters reserved – access and landscaping to be considered) – Erection of up to 64 dwellings (including up to 22 affordable dwellings).
Site Location OLD NEWTON – Land Off Church Road, Church Road, Old Newton, IP14 4EF
Applicant Mr North
92.3 The Case Officer presented the application to the Committee outlining the proposal before Members, the layout of the site, the previous approval on site, and the officer recommendation of approval with conditions.
92.4 The Area Planning Manager advised Members that the officer recommendation was updated to include the conditions as set out by the Environmental Management Officer as detailed in page 165 & 166 of the Agenda and that the Ecological measures be secured by condition.
92.5 The Case Officer responded to Members’ questions on issues including: that the details of the dwellings locations would be available in a reserved matters application.
92.6 Members considered the representation from Jonathan Miller, of Old Newton Parish Council, who spoke against the application.
92.7 Members considered the representation from Michael Helliwell, who spoke as an objector.
92.8 The Objector responded to Members’ questions on issues including: that the meadow associated with the application was not a Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI).
92.9 Members considered the representation from Leslie Short, who spoke as the Agent.
92.10 The Area Planning Manager clarified that the relevance of the Council’s current policies had been tested at Appeals and were subsequently ruled as being out of date.
92.11 Members considered the representation from Councillor Rachel Eburne, who spoke as the Ward Member.
92.12 Members considered the written representation from Councillor Keith Welham, which was read out by the Chair.
92.13 Members debated the application on the issues including: the current Local Plan and settlement boundary, the Draft Joint Local Plan which included the proposed allocations and updated settlement boundary.
92.14 The Area Planning Manager advised Members that the Draft Joint Local Plan had negligible weight at its current stage, and that it and the previous local plan showed that the site was outside the settlement boundary.
92.15 Members continued to debate the application on the issues including: the Council’s current and draft proposals for settlement boundary policies, the comments of the Parish Council, and the scale of the development.
92.16 In the absence of any further comments the Chair asked the committee to consider whether they would accept the resolution of a deferral to seek further Ecological comments due to the current holding objection.
92.17 The Area Planning Manager further advised that if Members were minded to defer then further information could be sought regarding the Deliverability of the site.
92.18 Councillor John Matthissen proposed that the application be deferred to seek further information on the Ecological mitigation measures and to confirm the deliverability of the site with the Applicant.
92.19 Members debated the merits of a deferment and whether the further information would significantly change Members view of the application to make a substantive resolution.
92.20 No seconder was found for the proposed deferral. The motion subsequently fell.
92.21 Councillor Harry Richardson proposed that the application be approved as detailed in the updated officer recommendation. Councillor Barry Humphreys MBE seconded the motion.
92.22 By 4 votes to 3
That Outline Planning Permission is Granted subject to conditions.
(1) Subject to the prior agreement of a Section 106 Planning Obligation on appropriate terms to the satisfaction of the Chief Planning Officer to secure:
• Affordable housing
• On site open space and includes management of the space to be agreed and requirement for public access at all times.
(2) That authority be delegated to the Chief Planning Officer to GRANT Planning permission subject to conditions as summarised below and those as may be deemed necessary by the Chief Planning Officer:
• Standard time limit (3yrs for implementation of scheme/Outline/Reserved/Section73)
• RM to include layout, appearance etc. and detailed cross sections that show relationship of finished development with all adjoining sites + a minimum of 10% open space
• Approved Plans (Plans submitted that form this application)
• Phasing Condition (To allow phasing of the development and allows spreading of payments under CIL)
• External Materials to be submitted and chosen from traditional vernacular palette
• Swift boxes installation scheme to be agreed
• Hedgehog fencing scheme to be agreed
• SuDs conditions
• Market housing mix prior to or concurrent with reserved matters to be agreed
• Renewable Energy scheme to be agreed
• Rainwater harvesting to be agreed
• Construction Plan to be agreed.
• Level access to enable wheelchair access for all dwellings/buildings.
(3) And the following informative notes as summarised and those as may be deemed necessary:
• Proactive working statement
• SCC Highways notes
• Support for sustainable development principles
(4) That in the event of the Planning obligations or requirements referred to in Resolution (1) above not being secured and/or not secured within 6 months that the Chief Planning Officer be authorised to refuse the application on appropriate ground
- Ecologoical Coniditions as set out in the updated Consultee response