8.1 Item 3
Proposal Planning Application. Full Planning Application – Erection of 41 Affordable dwellings (Class C3) (following demolition of existing buildings); Conversion of Victorian building to library (Class D1) and associated works including parking, highways and landscaping.
Site Location NEEDHAM MARKET- Site at Needham Market Middle School, School Street, Needham Market
Applicant A. Bennett, Mid Suffolk District Council
8.2 The Case Officer presented the application to the Committee providing a comprehensive analysis of the proposal outlining the layout of site and the Officer Recommendation of Approval.
8.3 The Case Officer responded to Members’ questions on issues including: the proposed placement of the bungalows on the site, the proposed ownership of the flats, the existing parking provision at the library, and the sustainability measures proposed including the possibility of cycle storage at the Library.
8.4 The Senior Development Management Engineer from Suffolk County Council’s Highways Department responded to Members’ questions on issues including: the speed survey data contained within the papers.
8.5 Members considered the representation from Mark Allen from Create Consulting who spoke on behalf of Needham Town Council.
8.6 The Town Council representative responded to Members’ questions on issues including: previous data regarding the traffic movements when the site had been an active school and the width of the pavements in School Street.
8.7 Members considered the representation from Patricia Potter who spoke as an Objector.
8.8 Members considered the representation from the Agent, Nicol Perryman who spoke on behalf of the applicant.
8.9 The Agent responded to Members’ questions on issues including: the standard of the design being of a high quality, and that the sustainability measures would be in line with building regulations.
8.10 Members considered the representation from the Ward Members, Councillor Wendy Marchant and Councillor Mike Norris who spoke against the application.
8.11 The Ward Members responded to the Committees’ questions on issues including: whether an entrance had been possible via The Causeway.
8.12 The Acting Chief Planning Officer and the Case Officer responded to Members’ questions on issues including: that the alleyways linked to the site were not accrued rights of way and that with regards to safe and suitable access, each case had to be decided on its own merits.
8.13 Members debated the application on the issues including: the other types of application that could have been put on the site, that the affordable housing was welcomed, the standard of the design, the layout of the site, and the economic benefits from the site.
8.14 Councillor Jane Storey Proposed that the application be approved as detailed in the Officer Recommendation. Councillor Roy Barker Seconded the motion.
8.15 The Acting Chief Planning Officer asked that the Officer Recommendation be amended as follows to which the Proposer and Seconder agreed:
That authority be delegated to the ACPO to grant PP subject to Section 106 as recommendation (1) omitting requirement for drainage scheme. Add obligation:
· Public access to existing pathway to The Causeway from the proposed adopted public highway.
· Cycle storage for library TBA
· Phasing condition
8.16 By 10 votes to 4
That authority be delegated to the Acting Chief Planning Officer to grant Planning Permission subject to Section 106 as recommendation (1) omitting requirement for drainage scheme
Public access to existing pathway to The Causeway from the proposed adopted public highway
(1) Subject to the prior agreement of a Section 106 Planning Obligation on appropriate terms to the satisfaction of the Acting Chief Planning Officer to secure:
· Affordable Housing
· Provision of Library, that
2) The Acting Chief Planning Officer be authorised to Approve Planning Permission upon completion of the legal agreement subject to conditions as summarised below and those as may be deemed necessary:
1) Non-standard time limit (18 months)
2) Drawing numbers
3) Materials to be agreed
4) Demolition and investigation Management Plan
5) Construction Management Plan
6) Floods condition – scheme to be altered if infiltration not possible
7) Works to be in accordance with the measures outlined in the accompanying arboricultural report.
8) Landscaping as shown
9) Report unexpected contamination
10) The findings of the ecological survey be carried out in full (including a watching brief).
11) vis splays to be provided
12) Details of School Street/The Causeway junction improvements
13) Delivery of School Street/The Causeway junction improvements
14) Details of roads
15) Details of storage/refuse
16) Electric Vehicle Charging
17) Sustainability measures
18) Lighting scheme to be agreed
19) Environmental Health conditions (inc. a scheme to mitigate against noise)
20) PD removal (class A).
21) Garages/carports retained as such.
22) Phasing Condition
23) Cycle Storage for Library TBA
3) And the following informative notes as summarised and those as may be deemed necessary: Informatives:
1) Fire Hydrants
2) Works to the highway
3) Anglian Water informative